Cradle to Cradle Certification ®
The Cradle to Cradle concept is not only about sustainability and recycling. It is also about encouraging designers to rethink their processess that shape our designs. C2C rejects the idea that growth needs to be detrimental to the environment and human health. By adding what is called eco-effective supply side appraoches and integrating positively defined goals based on C2C values and principles, we are able to direct innovation and leadership towards a positive footprint. The fact that we should get better products and we have less waste because companies will use better materials to produce their stuff is benificial for everybody, i.e. the environment, the customer and the producer. Why don’t we start rethinking our consumption?
ARCHE, as a certified Material Health Assessor, helps companies to implement this concept and move towards certifying their products in line with the Cradle Certified Products Program CM
Cradle to Cradle® – History
The ultimate goal of the Cradle to Cradle CertifiedCM Products Program is to encourage continuous improvement, innovation, and formulation of products that benefit humans and the environment. The methodology was originally created by McDonough Braungart Design Chemistry, LLC (MBDC) in cooperation with EPEA Internationale Umweltforschung GmbH, and has been developed and practiced over the past 20 years.
Cradle to Cradle® – Certified products
Since product certification began in 2005, more than 150 companies have adopted the methodology and over 400 certifications have been issued for The Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute (http://www.c2ccertified.org/). These companies include e.g. BASF, DSM, Steelcase, Herman Miller, Desso, Alcoa or Rheinzink and covers different products such as building maetrial, interior design, personal & home care, paper & packaging, textile & fabrics, but also polymers, metal alloys,… .
Cradle to Cradle-Certification process: as an authorized Cradle to Cradle material assessor, ARCHE assesses healthy and sustainable products under the Cradle to Cradle CertifiedCM Products Program. Generally the Cradle to Cradle(R) consists of 4 steps:
- Review your product’s preliminary information and respond with a comprehensive timeline, estimated cost, trademark licensing, considerations, and clearly assigned responsibilities for all aspects of data collection and assessment.
- Work with your assessor to establish what is in your product, how it is made, and what happens to it at the end of use. You will complete the product’s Bill of Materials, optimization plans, and other documentation – usually with non-disclosure agreements in places between the assessor, your company, and your suppliers.
- Assessor (ARCHE) follows the guidelines in the product standard to evaluate in detail the composition of product ingredients and manufacturing processes. This includes a site visit to assembling facilities and the completion of an report to be submitted to the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute for review.
- You will be asked to sign the Institute’s Trademark Licence Agreement to guide your use of the mark on the product and marketing materials. Your product will be added to the online product registry and circulated to the Institute’s network of like -minded products. The institute team is on hand to support your marketing efforts.
The Cradle to Cradle CertifiedCM Products Standard is a multi-attribute, continuous improvement methodology that evaluates products across 5 categories of human and environmental health and is administered by the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute. Product certification is awarded at five levels (Basic, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum), with the expectation that an applicant will optimize each aspect of their product over time. The ultimate goal is to encourage innovation and the design of products that effectively and positively impact people and the environment. While many certifications in the market address one aspect of a product or its production, the Cradle to Cradle Certified Product Standard addresses 5 quality categories relating to human and environmental health:
- Material Health – Products are made with materials that are safe and healthy for humans and the environment
- Material Reutilization – Products are designed so all ingredients can be reused safely by nature or industry
- Renewable Energy and Carbon Management – Products are assembled and manufactured with renewable, non polluting energy
- Water Stewardship – Products are made in ways that protect and enrich water supplies
- Social Fairness – Products are made in ways that advance social and environmental justice
Cradle to Cradle® – ARCHE consultants
For additional information please contact: