PROTECTING THE ENVIRONMENT IN A REALISTIC WAY
SOIL PNEC Calculator
This excel spreadsheet calculates the predicted ecological risks of several metals (Cu, Ni, Zn, Pb, Cd, Mo and Co) in soil, based on their Predicted No-Effect Concentrations (PNEC) to soil organisms, as derived in the EU REACH dossiers (Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals; Regulation EC No 1907/2006) for these metals, as available in August 2012. Metal toxicity not only depends on the total metal dose, but also on the time since contamination and on physico-chemical soil properties. Variation in soil properties can indeed result in a more than 10 fold variation in toxicity and therefore it is important that an ecological risk assessment is based on soil specific quality standards in order to avoid over- or under-protective scenarios. For several metals, bioavailability correction models are available allowing the derivation of such site-specific ecological soil quality standards, based on scientific understanding of the behaviour and ecotoxicity of metals in soils. In order to make all this information available to potential users (regulators or industry), all data were compiled and implemented in this tool allowing straight-forward calculation of soil-specific ecological quality standards and corresponding risk characterisation for various metals. The input parameters are dependent upon the metal under consideration, and are soil parameters likely to be determined in routine soil analyses (metal background concentrations, pH, % organic matter, % clay and eCEC).
This tool is freely available for industry, other entities that provided the necessary data to develop the tool and governmental organizations. Any feedback is highly appreciated (please send your comments to Dr Koen Oorts at firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning the operating system and office/excel version, thanks!!). Please note that not all functionalities (e.g. macro's) may be available under an Mac operating system.
Keep track of our latest news
- Visit us at SETAC Europe 22-26th Nantes
- ARCHE participated at the METGROW+ kickoff meeting In Helsinki 16-02-2016
- ARCHE gets the first SETAC EUROPE certified Environmental Risk Assessment Assessor degree!
- Call of interest (26-02-2016): Biocidal product consortia for chlorine, permethrin + PBO and in situ PAA
- ARCHE's team keeps growing!
- Call of interest (08-01-2016) consortium formation and cooperation for sodium 2-biphenylate in biocidal products for PTs 1,2,3,4,6 and 13
- REACH 2018: Act now to ensure a successful registration
- REACH Orphan Substances Consortium welcomes Strontium and Barium!
- ARCHE helped these products to successfully obtain their Cradle to Cradle certification!
- ARCHE co-authored latest EFSA report in support of the Guidance Document on persistence in soil.
- Release Metal EQS video!!!
- Open invitation to join the REACH Orphan Substances Consortium- ROSC
- ARCHE and REACHLaw announce a partnership in the area of REACH Authorisation
Meet us at these upcoming events
- Chemical Watch Biocides symposium 10-11 th May Budapest: ARCHE will give a presentation about
- ISCP Symposium (Ghent University), 17th May Ghent Belgium
- Workshop REACH 2018 registratie deadline: Essencia 17th May 2016 Ghent Belgium
- VISIT us at booth 27 at SETAC Nantes 22-26th May 2016