DU SCALING TOOL
Under REACH, the Downstream User (DU) is obliged to check compliance with the Exposure Scenario (ES) forwarded by the Registrant. The information on Operational Conditions (OCs) and Risk Management Measures (RMMs) given in the ES should be compared with the actual OCs and RMMs of the DU. OCs/RMMs may not always be completely identical with the OCs/RMMs specified in the ES, and may actually deviate from them. When one or more of the actual OC and RMM differ from those of the ES, it is not immediately apparent whether the use is still in compliance with the ES. In all cases, the DU should still be able to ascertain that he is in compliance with the ES.
For this situation, the registrant can provide scaling rules as part of the ES to help DUs to check compliance with the ES and to increase the flexibility of ESs for a wider range of downstream users. EUROMETAUX and ARCHE have developed a DU scaling tool (originally initiated by EURAS) for compliance checking with the environmental ES of metals. The DU scaling tool is based on the spreadsheet version of EUSES. This tool is freely available for industry,other entities that provided the necessary data to develop the tool and governmental organizations.
In the registrant-interface, the generic default OCs and RMMs can be entered. Some of them are very relevant for metals, such as the possibility to provide measured regional concentrations and solid-water partition coefficients.
In the simple and easy-to-use DU-interface, key OC and RMM can be changed according to the site-specific OC and RMMs of the DU. This includes general parameters as release factors, dilution, presence/absence of municipal sewage treatment plant, etc... It also allows the DU to enter bioavailability-corrected PNECs (Predicted No Effect Concentrations), for those metals for which relevant models are available.
In the background, the full EUSES model is run to calculate exposure and risks.
The resulting risk characterisation ratios allow the DU to assess safe use. In this way, the DU scaling tool enables the DU to check compliance with the ES if his OCs or RMMs differ from those in the ES.
How does it work?
In the ES scaling tool sheet, the metal of concern should be selected. This will automatically fill out several metal-specific parameters such as regional concentrations, PNECs and solid-water partition coefficients. Key OC and RMM can be changed according to the site-specific OC and RMMs of the DU. This includes general parameters as release factors, dilution, presence/absence of municipal sewage treatment plant, etc…, In the advanced mode (by clicking on plus buttons on the left, the DU can enter monitoring data or bioavailability-corrected PNECs (Predicted No Effect Concentrations), for those metals for which relevant models are available.In the background, the full EUSES model is run to calculate exposure and risks. The resulting risk characterisation ratios allow the DU to assess safe use. In this way, the DU scaling tool enables the DU to check compliance with the ES if his OCs or RMMs differ from those in the ES.Please consult EUROMETAUX’s guidance on ES for DU-mmies for more information of ES compliance checking.
- The tool is available for download and own use for EUROMETAUX members, other entities that provided the necessary data to develop the tool and associated downstream users. Governmental organizations can also get access. There is a version for Excel 2007 (extension xlsx).
- If your metal is not available in the background database please contact your metal consortium.
- Any feedback is highly appreciated (please send your comments to Dr Frederik Verdonck at firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning the operating system and office/excel version, thanks!!).
Keep track of our latest news
- ARCHE Consulting and Piet Consulting invite you to its 5th Biocidal Products Regulation symposium 11th October 2016.
- ARCHE Consulting cares about your cosmetics!
- ARCHE Consulting participated at the METGROW+ kickoff meeting In Helsinki 16-02-2016
- ARCHE gets the first SETAC EUROPE certified Environmental Risk Assessment Assessor degree!
- Call of interest (26-02-2016): Biocidal product consortia for chlorine, permethrin + PBO and in situ PAA
- ARCHE's team keeps growing!
- Call of interest (08-01-2016) consortium formation and cooperation for sodium 2-biphenylate in biocidal products for PTs 1,2,3,4,6 and 13
- REACH 2018: Act now to ensure a successful registration
- REACH Orphan Substances Consortium welcomes Strontium and Barium!
- ARCHE helped these products to successfully obtain their Cradle to Cradle certification!
- ARCHE co-authored latest EFSA report in support of the Guidance Document on persistence in soil.
- Release Metal EQS video!!!
- Open invitation to join the REACH Orphan Substances Consortium- ROSC
- ARCHE and REACHLaw announce a partnership in the area of REACH Authorisation
Meet us at these upcoming events
- There are currently no upcoming events.
Don't worry, you'll get a chance to meet us soon!